5 Best Videos-How To Help A Grieving Friend
Connecting with a friend or loved one in grief can feel really daunting. Our culture, while so open about everything on social media, is still in the dark about how to talk about grief. Most of us worry we don't have the right words, feel awkward or uncomfortable bringing it up, or don't know what to do to help a friend who is suffering.
This collection of videos educates us about grief, empathy, and support, and gives us the confidence to step forward and support our loved ones. May these inspire connection during our friends' hardest moments, and help us understand how to help in ways that heal.
1) How To Help a Grieving Friend-Refuge in Grief
Author and grief support coach, Megan Devine, and her company Refuge In Grief created this animated look into how to support a friend during loss.
2) Grief Casserole-How to Help Your Friends and Family Through Grief and Loss
This Ted Talk has powerful advice from musician Kate Schutt about how to step out of our fears and hangups so we can support our loved ones during grief.
3) Empathy Vs. SympathyBrene Brown uses this gentle animation to discuss the difference between empathy and sympathy when someone is going through a hard time.
4) Advice to Friends and Family-Good Grief TrustJulia Samuel from the Good Grief Trust talks about how to best support our loved ones when they experience a loss.
5) A Guide to Supporting Someone Who is BereavedAn excellent video from Child Bereavement UK from parents who have experienced the loss of a child and what did and didn't help them heal in their time of grief.